The first recorded match involving a team from Goldsborough was a victory over their local rivals Great Ouseburn in 1842. The club played many matches up to the Great War in 1914 in the grounds of Goldsborough Hall often having members of the Earl of Harewood’s family in its ranks.
After the Great War the club reformed and in the early 1920s moved to its present day location. Playing primarily in the Nidderdale League the club continued its policy of playing only players living within the Parish. This policy remained in place until a further enforced break in 1939 following the outbreak of the Second World War.
The club reformed again after the war until a shortage of players in the late 1950s led to the club folding for a few seasons. With a new policy of recruiting from outside the parish, the club reformed and has since gone from strength to strength. In 1973 the club introduced a second team which still today plays competitively in the Nidderdale League. It also purchased the ground in which it had played on since the 1920’s and built a new modern club house with a bar and other cricketing facilities.
View of the pitch from the club house
Today the club is one of the premier clubs in the area fielding teams in the Nidderdale Amateur Cricket League, Harrogate Evening and Whixley Leagues in summer, and the Headingley and Leeds Sports Centre leagues in winter. It’s most recent successes have included indoor league champions 2012/13 for Leeds Sports Centre, overall district champions 2012/13 for the Last Man Standing indoor league and the 2013 Premier League champions for the Harrogate Evening League– the longest running evening cricket league in the world.
We are always on the lookout for new players and sponsors, so if you are interested or know someone who is please don’t hesitate to contact us.